Search through Graphic Competitions
Vilcek Prizes For Creative Promise In Fashion
In fulfilling its ongoing mission to raise public awareness of the outstanding contributions of foreign-born scientists and artists living and working in the United States, the Vilcek Foundation presents the Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in Fashion.
« The United States has some of the world’s capitals of fashion, where talents from around the globe come to study the craft and make a name for themselves. The significant contributions of immigrant fashion professionals behind the runways reflect the multicultural identity of this country. And we are excited to recognize, with the Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise, those foreign-born individuals who have helped shape American fashion. » (Marica Vilcek, vice president of the Vilcek Foundation)
Professionals in the following fields are encouraged to apply:
• Designer - including but not exclusive to womenswear, menswear, textile design, accessories, and other artifacts
• Stylist - including editorials, advertising campaigns, and fashion presentations
• Makeup/hair artist - truly experimental pushing the breadth of materials used to communicate their narrative of makeup or hair
• Image Maker - including fashion photography, film, animation, and illustration
• Curator - including exhibitions, presentations, and display through real and/or virtual environment
• Writer - fashion writing, including curatorial, journalistic, critical, editorial, and historical
A panel of distinguished members of the fashion community will evaluate each application based its quality, level of creativity, clarity of vision, and impact. The submitted work samples would have to be innovative and unique to fashion. The individuals chosen will have demonstrated commitment to their chosen field.
There is no entry fee.
To be eligible for the Vilcek Prize for Creative Promise in Fashion, applicants must meet all the following criteria:
• Applicant must have been born outside the United States.
• Applicant must not be more than 38 years old as of December 31, 2013 (born on or after January 1, 1976).
• Applicant must be a naturalized citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) of the United States.
• Applicant must intend to pursue a professional career in the United States.
• Applicant must not be a past winner or finalist of the Vilcek Prize for Creative Promise.
The Vilcek Foundation will award three prizes of $50,000 each to young fashion professionals who demonstrate outstanding early achievement.
The winners of the Creative Promise Prize in Fashion will be notified by November 2014 and will be invited to attend the Vilcek Foundation’s annual awards ceremony in New York City, in the spring of 2015. Travel expenses and accommodations will be covered by the Foundation.