Search through all the contests
The International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) 2013 is now open for entries. Organized by the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA), IDEA recognizes design excellence in products, sustainability, interaction design, packaging, strategy, research and concepts.
Products must have been placed in distribution between February 2011 and February 2013. This means the product must be available for sale in its final form to its intended end users through normal sales channels during that period, except in the case of the Social Impact Design category where products are often given as part of an aid effort or donation program.
Student entries can only be submitted in the Student Category, even if the design is in research, production or corporately funded.
A jury of independent design experts will use the following criteria in selecting winning designs:
• Innovation: design, experience, manufacturing
• Benefit to the user: performance, comfort, safety, ease of use, usability, user interface, ergonomics, universal function and access, quality of life, affordability
• Responsibility: benefit to society, environment, culture and economy
• Benefit to the client: profitability, increased sales, brand reputation, employee morale
• Visual appeal and appropriate aesthetics
• Design research category insights: usability, emotional factors, unmet needs, testing rigor and reliability
• Design strategy category: internal factors and methods, strategic value and implementation
Please note: the deadline for applications is February 11, 2013, with a late deadline of February 25, 2013.
Open to designs and designers worldwide.
Entrants from Brazil must apply through IDEA/Brasil at http://www.ideabrasil.com.br to take advantage of additional winner benefits.
For the fourth year, The Henry Ford in Dearborn, Mich., will house the winners in its permanent collection.
• Best Student Design, Best Concept Design, Best of Category Awards and Paradigm Shifter Awards (or other ad hoc awards) may also be given at the jury’s discretion. The Best in Show Award may be given to one or more Gold-winning entry deemed best in show by the jurors. This award will be determined at the conclusion of the regular jurying by clear majority vote.
• Curator’s Choice Award: Voting for this award will be conducted live at The Henry Ford Museum and voted on by the public.
• People’s Choice Award: Voting for this award will be done online after the winners are announced and is open to the public. Each person may only vote once. Voting will also be open during the national conference in August 2013. Only the Gold winners will be eligible to win the Designer’s Choice Award.
• Responsibility Award: This award will be given by the jury in conjunction to Gold, Silver and Bronze awards to those designs deemed most responsible to society, economy, environment and culture.