Search through all the contests
AOI Illustration Awards 2014
The Association of Illustrators is now welcoming entries for the AOI Illustration Awards 2014, one fo the most significant international illustration competitions.
The AOI Illustration Awards promotes exceptional work by illustrators and presents illustration as a major force in global visual culture. The awards are international and open to illustrator's worldwide working across all sectors and in any medium.
Work must be entered into one of the 8 categories. These are very broadly defined to welcome work of all types and in all contexts where illustration is used:
• Advertising - Illustration commissioned for the purpose of advertising any type of product, event or brand in any media and presented through any platform.
• Books - Illustration commissioned and published within the book format for a readership of 16 years or over. Work submitted may be a book cover, inside illustrations, whole book design or entire publication.
• Children’s Books - Illustration commissioned and published within the book format for a readership of 16 years or under. Work submitted may be the book cover, inside illustrations, whole book design or entire publication.
• Design - Illustration commissioned and published within the context of a design brief. This is a very broad category and includes all areas of design.
• Editorial & Social Comment - Illustration commissioned and published within the context of journalism, comment, reporting, current affairs, campaigning, social comment and news communication in any media and for any platform.
• Research & Knowledge Communication - Illustration commissioned for the purpose of undertaking research and communicating knowledge. Illustration that is used as a research or investigative tool and that represents, explains or seeks to understand information or data.
• Public Realm - Illustration created for and displayed in the built or natural environment.
• Self-Initiated - Projects developed by the artist and not in response to an external brief. This may be any kind of work that the illustrator has ’self commissioned’.
Work must be entered as either a New Talent entry or a Professional entry. New Talent entrants are 3rd year undergraduate students, post-graduate students or graduates within two years of graduation. Professional entrants are all other professional illustrators.
Work can be entered by the creator of the work (illustrator, student /new graduate) or by any third party such as an Agent, Designer, College, Publisher or Commissioner. Work entered for the competition must have been created or published between 1 January 2013 to 16 March 2014.
There is no limit to the amount of entries you make. Entrants can submit as many entries as they choose and in as many different categories as they feel is appropriate.
Entry fee: £25 (approx. 41 USD) per entry for AOI Members and student entries, £45 (approx. 75 USD) per entry for Non AOI members.
The Awards are open to illustrators working in any medium, context or geographical location.
The competition shortlist is showcased online, allowing commissioners and industry peers to browse work and contact successful artists directly. Each year’s shortlist is available to view permanently in the Awards archive.
Work by Award Winners, Category Winners and other selected shortlisted artists is exhibited in the Terrace Rooms at Somerset House in London and then tours across the UK to multiple venues.
This national tour receives approximately 40,000 visitors during its run. A publication will be launched to coincide with this exhibition and will be available from October 2014.